Saturday, September 09, 2006

Goodbye, Crocodile Hunter

My first ever memories of Steve Irwin are of him trying to pick up a spitting snake without wearing anything but a pair of goggles, never mind that their spit can burn your skin. (This was after my friend Dyne did his best crikey accent and convinced me that the crazy Aussie guy was worth watching.)

When my cousin first told me that he was "reported dead" I refused to believe it. I mean, Aussie news is notorious for its exaggerations. (Nothing much happens here, so there appears to be the need to sensationalize everything.)When it was finally confirmed later on and the tributes started showing on tv, I finally believed it was real.

People ask me what it's like here, if people are freaking out. They're not. Steve Irwin was a bazillion times more popular in America, even in the Philippines. Here they recognize his great contributions to conservatism and Australian tourism, but he's not as big a thing as he is everywhere else. I mean, the man made worldwide news and CNN did a tribute.

In an interview Andrew Denton of Enough Rope did, he asked Steve why he thought that Aussies were "a bit embarrassed" about him. Steve said, "It's because there's a little bit of me in every Australian." And he's right. He was bold and passionate and committed. My Aussie friends agree that he epitomized Australianess but he took it to another level that most regular Aussies considered a bit too much sometimes. He was very much respected, though. And I think a lot of people here have come to look at him more differently now that he's gone.

To me he was a good man - a great man, a devoted father/husband and animal lover. He will be missed.

title or description
Goodbye, Steve.
from cute overload.

2 comments:

La NiƱa said...

I first saw Steve Irwin on TV back in late 98 or early 99. I can still remember the episode... it was about finding the 10 deadliest snakes in Australia, he even had the balls to swim with some sea snakes! During that same episode, one snake almost bit him on the nose. And he said, in his strong Aussie accent, that it would not be good if he'd been bitten because he wouldn't be able to put a bandage over it... it sounded so funny to me. That was the moment I liked him :)

duke said...

I know it's a tad late but Steve Irwin is one of the most entertaining figure i've ever watched.

'Such sad news :(