Wednesday, December 01, 2004

I think it's been almost a week here already...

Freeeak Shooow

I think it’s funny how I can walk down the street at three in the morning and feel perfectly safe but be freaked out by the funny noises coming from the bathroom.

Last night I finished reading a trashy romance novel by Eloisa James, a writer who was orginally a scholar at Oxford and who also teaches Shakespearean literature. I went to bed with strange dreams. In the first half, Kris had wrote me a letter both berating me and regaling me with tales of her and Bea, one of the lead heroines in the book I had just read. I kept thinking, how does Kris know Bea? In the second part, there was someone, a faceless man, on top of me trying to pound me really, I kept trying to push him off but it was like I was trapped. Both of us were dressed, and there was no attempt at anything really indecent I was just completely pinned and I couldn’t get up, I kept pushing, I bit his tongue (weird!) but it didn’t work and I kept pushing and pushing and trying to wake up, at first I couldn’t and then I was. I got up, opened the door to the room so that there was light from the hallway and actually managed to go back to sleep.

I seriously wished I was back at home in Keppel next to Maui (never mind the snoring) rather than in Sarossa with Kris, it was that freaky. I’ve come to the conclusion that it was all because of reading trashy romance novels and an overactive imagination. It may also be the fact that I am by myself in a hotel room that is frequently used for illicit liasons or to quote Kris, a “Dalahan”.

My bathroom here has a window that will not close. My head is the same level as the window and I can look out at the smorgasboard of buildings and shanties, gasoline stations and neon lights while I take a shower. Despite the curtains, it is never truly dark in my room – formerly Anton & Jeanine’s – thanks to the neon lights, which I think is a good thing, given my overactive imagination.

The creaking noises coming from the pipes in the bathroom and the neighbor’s mumurs – I can’t tell if it’s the tv or not and at this point I would rather hear ecstatic noises of joy than any creaking – have led me to frantically text Lance to have him and JR come and stay over. Of course, both boys have, in amusement, both tried to placate me by saying, “Alam mo, wala yan. Dalahan lang talaga yan kaya madami ka talaga maririnig.” JR, in fairness offered to come over in exchange for a deferred off, to which I replied, “Ha? Bukas na lang, Respeto.” as both boys are moving to their new digs in the morning.

I seriously do not underestand what led our procurement department to book the managers in a “better hotel” that turned out to be frequented by foreign men with hookers on the side and then leave the only female manager we have left staying here alone in the suite. Again, I don’t mind staying, I like having my own room, and it was perfectly fine until well, I got all freeeeakkked. It’s only five in the afternoon and the guys have decided not to go out. I would love to go to Keppel and have dinner – spaghetti – but I’ve eaten too much today – Lord I need exercise and a weighing scale just to prove to myself, see, see! You should stop eating, never mind the amount of walking you’ve done – and really, I’m pretty comfortable where I am, funny creaky noises in the background notwithstanding. That and I can hear what must be the murmur of the neighbor’s tv. I refuse to be freaked out further. Earlier I tried to connect to the internet but after a few tries I got a 12kbps connection, utterly brilliant and without the capacity to open anything, least of all yahoo messanger. Thus, I gave up, decided the card was useless and would need no further attempts. I will visit JY in the morning.

On a side note I am glad that I finally got to brush my teeth after almost a day and a half of using my finger and toothpaste. I forgot my toothbrush at Keppel when I packed some stuff for my stay at Sarossa. I asked Maui to bring it over the next day and having forgotten it before, I did remember that I had purchased a spare left behind in a drawer in the office. I told Lance to bring toothpaste. In the intervening hours, our bathroom at Keppel got locked again – leaving Maui without a toothbrush as well – and Lance forgot the toothpaste, which meant, basically that all I had done that day was brush my teeth with my finger. When we got to Keppel that afternoon (yesterday) the bathroom was still locked, thanks to an unidentified little monster named either Eli or Alvin, and the procurement manager hadn’t gotten back with a copy of the keys so I went home with my teeth unbrushed. Thankfully they got the bathroom open last night and Maui took me my toothbrush this morning, plus Lance remembered to bring the toothpaste, so I was fine when I got to work. I will never take my breath for granted again. I swear.

FLASHBACK!
I found part of the chat I had with John the night before I left. It is probably the last chat conversation I have had since I left, damn it! I need internet! Anyway, here are my adventures packing:

mariya_larochka: baaacak
mariya_larochka: i have this moooountaaaain of undies
mariya_larochka: to pack
rugjug50: ok, not really a response for that
rugjug50: exempt you can never have too many
rugjug50: speaking of packing, have you started
mariya_larochka: i put one pair of jeans in.
rugjug50: its a start
mariya_larochka: everything
mariya_larochka: is all out on my bed
mariya_larochka: it would help if we were casual month
mariya_larochka: but were not!
rugjug50: you never know, they might declare it casual again bec its so critical. just bring both
rugjug50: plus, you are basically casual anyway even if it is not casual. difference lang is pants and jeans
rugjug50: the tops are the same and the slippers are the same
mariya_larochka: true
mariya_larochka: do i need 2 pairs of sneakers?
mariya_larochka: i have one but i dont think the black ones can be used for the gym
mariya_larochka: the ones that jason and i both have
rugjug50: depends, can you use the gym sneakers for everyday stuff
mariya_larochka: yeah
mariya_larochka: but the black sneaks keep my feet warm.'
rugjug50: are they cumfy and can you take them out easily when need to go bearfoot
rugjug50: cant argue with that. plus the black ones are small. no harm in bringing them
mariya_larochka: yes
mariya_larochka: i guess that makes five pairs of shoes
mariya_larochka: but two of them dont count
mariya_larochka: because theyre slippers ;P
rugjug50: what is your weight limit ba
mariya_larochka: same as bkk
rugjug50: phucket or bkk. phucket it was 15, bkk it was 23
mariya_larochka: bkk
rugjug50: you can always pack a small bag and have someone else bring it.
rugjug50: hey oceans 12 is opening soon. oceans 11 is opening soon too...in cebu
mariya_larochka: damn the sneakers are fucking big
rugjug50: so dont go gym, just go beach every weekend
rugjug50: you can try for the beonce gold thing again
rugjug50: or you can wear the sneakers going there
mariya_larochka: uhm, im wearing the other sneakers
rugjug50: less bulky and heavy thing goes into suitcase, more bulky you wear. thats how i do it.
rugjug50: the reviews for alexander are positive.
rugjug50: where they watching a different movie
mariya_larochka: mixed
mariya_larochka: some of them are good
mariya_larochka: some are bad
rugjug50: again where they watching the same movie, i wanna watch that one.
mariya_larochka: im tired
mariya_larochka: i wanna stop packingn a
rugjug50: this is where you do what i do. jus dump all the other unpacked stuff on top and sit on the suitcase until it closes
mariya_larochka: noooo
mariya_larochka: packing is an art
mariya_larochka: i strive to master
rugjug50: i would have thought you mastered it by now, being the lonely planet junkie that you are
mariya_larochka: iv enever had to pack for 6 weeks before
mariya_larochka: imagine what im gonna pack for australia
rugjug50: everything
mariya_larochka: aaaah!
mariya_larochka: no more space
mariya_larochka: i forgot to count
mariya_larochka: in fairness
mariya_larochka: i counted all the tshirts
mariya_larochka: its the office clothes
mariya_larochka: i forgot to count
rugjug50: im sure you have enough
mariya_larochka: no no non on ononon
mariya_larochka: I HAVENT PACKED MY PAJAMAS
rugjug50: are you bringing big handcarry
mariya_larochka: yes
mariya_larochka: its called a portable and 4 books
rugjug50: oh ok. so pajamas dont fit in portable bag
mariya_larochka: actually the pajamas are good
rugjug50: i cant wait till the superman movie comes out. i know it will be a while, but it will be cool.
mariya_larochka: shitload of underwear not good
mariya_larochka: it is not spreading around
rugjug50: put the underwear and your socks in your shoes, thats some extra space right there
mariya_larochka: do you know why?
mariya_larochka: because of th efreaking underwire
rugjug50: so much easier being a guy. thats all i have to say
mariya_larochka: ive just stuffed everything in
mariya_larochka: in the end because my handbag wouldnt smush, that's one
mariya_larochka: and two, theres a lot of space in the cracks
mariya_larochka: pero bahala na
rugjug50: im sure your stuff will be fine. anything deformed can be ironed
mariya_larochka: i think ive packed too much
mariya_larochka: there is such a thing as laundry
mariya_larochka: i must run through it again
rugjug50: true
rugjug50: arent you guys getting a labandera or something
mariya_larochka: yeah
mariya_larochka: i gave up
mariya_larochka: the bottom half was so well packed i didnt want
mariya_larochka: to fuck it up anymore
mariya_larochka: i think i overpacked
mariya_larochka: seriously
mariya_larochka: the maleta is full.
mariya_larochka: but then i guess
mariya_larochka: im not shopping naman
mariya_larochka: so never mind
rugjug50: better you overpack than run out of stuff
mariya_larochka: i guess. anyway, its time for me to figure out the handcarry so i gotta pack up the portable.
mariya_larochka: see you again soon :)
mariya_larochka: bye bye!
rugjug50: ok take care and have fun:D
rugjug50: remember if you meet a dude, no glove, no love

No comments: