Thursday, July 06, 2006

I no longer have a World Cup Team

Portugal, the last team I was supporting, lost to France. As I said to Duke, I think both sides played well. I would have preferred though, that france win for you know, making a goal and not a penalty kick. I think winning thanks to a penalty kick - unless its the overtime kind - is slightly not fair, regardless of who is playing, especially if you have a superstar player doing it. this is because you know, its generally dependant on the ref, not in the hands of the players. a different ref could’ve ignored it and not done a penalty, or given a card (as far as i understand, correct me if im wrong).

That said, althought I am not happy that France won, they played well as did Portugal, and either of them winning was generally deserved.

My comments about the game that Sacha and I woke up at 5am to see:

1. What is up with that drama, Luis Figo? He like fell down, had this stretcher come and pick him up and then when he got to the sideline got up and walked back in. Hello. I think you're a great player and all, but drama? C'mon.

2. There is absolutely no way in my mind that Luis Figo is in the Top 10 Hottest Football Players List. But then I do not agree with most of the people on that list.

3. When Zidane stepped up to take that penalty, I knew. I knew in my heart there was no way he would miss - therefore they would win - and of course I was slightly kilig pa, because I love Zidane. Even though he badly needed a shave. (Speaking of which, he was not the only one.)

4. The camera kept closing up on only two people: Christiano Ronaldo (who Sacha says, "Has a weak chin" and doesn't do anything for us) and this French dude, with a sweater draped over his shoulders. He must own a team, be a manager, politician, really rich or something. The more they closed up on him the more he reminded me of Sir Ian McKellan and made me feel like he should be in pink and have a poodle.

5. I could not, for the life of me, tell the difference between, Thierry Henry, Mekele and Abidal when they were being panned from the back in long shots. And let's be honest. I can't tell the difference between all the black players if they're not close up. Or the Japanese or Korean ones. To be fair, I think if there was a filipino football team, we'd all look brown to the rest of the world.

6. I think that given the fact that their best players are not natively French, France should not be by nature discriminatory! Their country is famous for its discrimination - partly to blame for its riots - and yet they probably would have problems winning certain events if they didn't have their Algerians, or migrants from former African colonies. They also wouldn't be as rich a country, if they hadn't had other economies to sell their products or obtain resources from. (I mean, they discriminate against Americans for crying out loud, and they're like, white. ) Before I go on a tirade about Africa or discrimination again, I think I'll stop with this: I'm not discriminating against the French, or any colonial power for that matter, I just don't bloody think its fair.

7. Sacha and I realised that we had no idea what the French Teams were named. I can name at least one team from most of the major European leagues: England, Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland, heck I could possibly name one in Scotland if I had to, but I have no idea what the names of the French teams are. In fact there was a brief second where I was like, there are French teams? Hello, of course there are.

"You didn't send me that picture. (pause) But I have gotten pictures from you of lots of semi-naked men." - Sacha, while watching the game, as we discussed the shirtless Italian soccer team picture

All right... I have received and sent several pictures of nice, shirtless football players. I have the Brazilian team in their locker room, the Italian team in Dolce & Gabbana underwear and lotsa other happy little things. I will be completely honest in saying I got into football because the players were hot.

Flashback to 1996, my first Spanish class. My friend's girlfriend sent him a picture of the Real Madrid Team and her crush, this nice Spanish football player with blondish brown hair that slightly reminded me of River Phoenix. And that is how I became a Real Madrid fan. I have no idea what his name was, and he probably doesn't even look as hot as my imagination remembers but who cares? There are a lot of hot soccer players, true they're not really in Real anymore (unless you count Beckham) but there are plenty more of them to choose from!

In fairness, since then I have grown to love the sport, enjoy watching the game and actually dream of having the ability to connect my foot with the ball, which doesn't look like it will happen by a long shot. So you know, good things did come out of my initial obssession. That said, I will never deny that I got into it because the players were hot. Cause they still damn well are.

3 comments:

duke said...

1. Luis Figo can be a dirty player! Actually Portugal is known for playing low doing all the diving/ drama etc when they can. That's why a lot of footie fans are not very keen on them.Their coach, Scolari, though is a good one. He made Brazil win in the last World Cup.

2. My friend was a neighbor of Figo when he was in Real Madrid. She can attest, he was good looking. Maybe it's the age showing now ;)

3. LOL. No way Zizu would miss that penalty! I like the kilig part! yeeeha!

4. Cristiano Ronaldo is an annoying prick! He can be so cocky when he plays. The french dude was France's coach when they won the World Cup in 98 :D

5.henry is the tallest among Makelele and Abidal. Makelele is the shortest. Abidal is the thinnest. Viera is almost Henry's height. Thuram was the one very visible (player of the match!).

6.I once asked husband in a match between Togo and France which team was France. They were all black except for Sagnol, Barthez, Ribery, and half half Zidane. He said most of them were from martinique and guadaloupe.. YEAH RIGHT!

7. I don't get it?! Are youtalking about the League?
French league they have Lyon, Marseilles, St. Etiennes, Paris SG, Monaco, Lille, and the list goes on...

hay lars, we should chat about football before the cup ends!
I'm compiling my list of guapo players of the World Cup. Will blog it soon!

thesweettoothfairy said...

How can you not pick henry out? I love him, he is gorgeous!!! Having said that, we were watching the game and I went, bakit may dumi sa field? Ay, player pala from Portugal! e kase naman they are wearing maroon pa, they are dark na nga!

I dont think Christiano Ronaldo has a weak chin... pero his kilay is a little bit too ayos for me. I like that skinhead portuguese player better.

La NiƱa said...

I heart Michael Owen. Hihihi :) Sayang lang talaga na injure sya. Gerrard is cute too.