Monday, March 20, 2006

And so it begins.

This semester after some manuevering and trying out different classes I have ended up with law, business intelligence, IT risk management and assurance and the politics of the world economy. I also managed to make it so I only had to go to uni for 2 days - Monday for one class and the rest on Wednesday.

Needless to say, by the end of my last class at 9pm on Wed I'm pretty burnt out. And I need massive doses of sugar and on occasion the forbidden fruit known as caffeine to get me through it, though our teacher is excellent. The fact is, its a 9 hour day with a one hour space in between and that's it.

Law is proving to be quite interesting and despite being only at it for 2 weeks I have been enjoying it. As I told my best friend Jenny, "This is the part where we find out if my father was right and whether or not I should have taken law." (Not that it means that I will suddenly take up law), which by the way is the chosen profession that everyone nominated for me in one of those forwards that you pass around and ask people questions about yourself to see how well they know you. In the part where it says, "What do you think I should be when I grow up?" I distinctly remember a whole shitload of people in the office saying either "Law or Rule the World".

As I have no desire to be the next Oprah or a member of the British Royal Family or I don't know, American, (or Republican!) I suppose my attempt in law will have to suffice.

I've been perpetually sleepy of late, which is a switch from last week's "I couldn't sleep at all" thanks to the variety of noises outside my room including the pain in the ass fire alarm from the building acrosss the road on tuesday night, and the drunken couple on wednesday night. Looks like we are moving in July.

My mother is arriving next week, with my cousin otherwise known as "she who could not decide whether to come or not and took so long she missed tickets to the lion king and thus will have to go on a different day." I will be housing my cousin for two weeks, in the bed in the little nook in the living room. She is known for being rather sheltered and I am told, incapable of making a decision on her own, aka one of those "I don't know, it's up to you, bahala ka" nahihiya types, which needless to say is the bane of existence of every only child. I am somewhat of the belief that she may turn out to be a bit more self-assertive as she too is an only child, so we may end up just clashing with me making her go the way I want her to. At least this time she's too old to bite me, which she did quite often as a small child.

I have, however, in preparation had my mother set her expectations. (now, don't say i didn't learn anything from you, d.e.b... :P)

I will have to figure out how to now fit family into my ever pressing schedule. I was planning on doing more volunteer work at uni this semester but I don't know how to fit it in anymore, I hope I can do more of it sometime.

I am going to Melbourne next week, to meet up with mum and my cousin. The U2 concert was postponed to November due to "the illness of a family member" (who we all suspect is Edge's 8 year old daughter who has cancer) and so I'm going to meet up with them that weekend instead and catch the Lion King, see friends and go see the romance novel bookstore!.

In the meantime, I'm off to finish that episode of South Park that was banned from being shown because it prominently featured Scientology and a certain couch jumping man protested.

And then I've got to get back to that law book and finish Chapter 8.

No comments: