Sunday, May 28, 2006

Hello Brangelina!

I have been waiting for Angelina Jolie to give birth for ages. It started out as a joke, to sort of mockery of the celebrity obssessed world (including myself) but suddenly, after the Cruise baby was born I began to actually take it seriously. So the past few days rumors have been abounding as to whether or not she was in labor, etc. Personally, I was thinking she wasn't due until June, I suppose she was just early.

Today, ironically after checking my daily gossip sheets, (the day she was rumored to give birth last week I checked obssessively almost on the hour, before saying to my cousin, "see, see! it was all bullshit. i knew it! she isn't due yet!") I went out with my housemates to have dessert, only to get a text from my cousin maybe 20 minutes later, "Brangelina gave birth to a baby girl!".

I went on with my evening (I'm not _that_ obssessed!). And upon returning home googled the meaning of the baby's name, which incidentally is Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt. Shiloh, aside from being the dog in the Newberry Award Winning Classic (which I knew) and the site of an American Civil War Battle in Tennessee (which I didn't know) means "Place of Peace" in the Bible (I'm presuming Hebrew but could be wrong, the Bible wasn't all written in Hebrew, as far as I know). Its a place where the Israelites took refuge. Have asked Sacha to ask her boyfriend, Shai, who is Jewish from Israel.

Nouvel, on the other hand, turned out to be the last name of a famous french architect and as Brad is said to have an interest in architecture this was the explanation that made the most sense. I could, obviously, be wrong about this too as information made to the public - other than the child's name (as in not even poundage) - has not really been released.

Shiloh, joins the list of funkily named kids who have been born lately: Suri, Grier, Kingston James, Moses and my personal(wtf) favorite, Bluebell Madonna. Don't think I'll ever get over the origin of that one. Kingston and Moses I think are tied for "the most normal sounding" names of the bunch, though this is not to say that I don't like the other ones, I actually think Suri is nice and Grier, possibly after the feminist is pretty cool. Bluebell Madonna, is a different story altogether. I have of ourse, no right to criticize the choice of the particular parents who have chosen these names, and so I will say nothing further about that one.

And I cannot, cannot believe I obssessed about 'the most beautiful baby on earth' so muuuuuuch. I hope that the child does not grow up to be traumatized for any reason and does not develop a big head or insecurities from that press created monicker. I hope that it (oops, she) grows up to be happy, healthy, well rounded and free from public pressure to be beautiful, well aware that she can be who she wants to be... (with parents like that, it looks like they'll make sure that she knows) also, I hope that she doesn't get called SHee-Loh like Shee-Ra or Shee-loh Beeelo or Shee Shee or whatever else she would be if she lived in the Philippines.

Also: Apple is not a weird name. I knew an Apple, Orange, Peaches, and more than one person with those names. I am from the Philippines, where somewhere, some way, I am sure a child will be born that _will_ actually (possibly) be named Brangelina.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Hmm, what about Lohshi? On the upside, she has 2 H's in her name so it has the potential to be the the most popular baby name back home. Not very vampish, though. Shame... ;-)

duke said...

I was wondering with the second name of the baby when I heard it. I was thinking why Nouvel??? in french, nouvel can sound like "new".

I was shocked with the name of Geri halliwell's baby too. what's up with the bluebell??
hay nako. since they are celebrities. they can get away with all the names they want.

incidentally, what you said about pinoy names is so true. I once met a guy whose first name is Jaworski-wawa naman!

camille said...

Lars, I know a Moses!