Friday, May 19, 2006

What the fuck is up with all this Da Vinci Code crap?

I just got home only to find waiting for me, email, which I'm sure was a forward, from a nice, well meaning (Opus Dei) friend who is a part of my college mailing list. Its a statement about the Da Vinci Code. I thought that being across the ocean I would not be subject to all the unecessary hullaballoo at home but no. I get mail that says "watching the Da Vinci Code will hurt Jesus."

Excuse me, but how do you know that?

Its all just bullshit. I mean, its a movie. By saying that its something else means you allow for it to affect you and you are in a way saying that it has some truth. If you just released a statement that says, we think its false and did nothing else or ignored the whole thing altogether, it wouldn't generate so much publicity (and you gotta admire that really well done PR) that people would be encouraged to see it. Doesn't anyone remember how the best way to tempt someone to do things is to forbid them to do it?!?!

People should have the right to make their own judgements about A WORK OF FICTION.
I should at this point say that although I know the story, I have not read the book. I made a decision not to read it because I felt it was overhyped and having read Angels and Demons I felt that was enough religious symbiology. I also thought at first that I would just watch the movie. I have since decided not to see it - although this whole thing has made me pissed off enough to want to watch it just to prove freedom of choice - initially because I'm not really keen on Tom Hanks and now because I just don't want to be a part of the fuss.

I wanted to reply and say I think this is a big fuss over nothing and its just a movie but I would probably with my usual directness hurt her forwarded feelings and she's really a nice girl.

And do we not have better things to fuss over, like the state of our country, the politics, the fact that in this scenario there appears to be a difficulty in separating church and state and you know, there's the ever prevalent problem of poverty?!?

Sigh. Must our country always have to find a source of drama? And why is everyone making a fuss? I'm now making a fuss over everyone making a fuss because I just don't get what the point is.

2 comments:

Pia said...

hey lars... my sentiments exactly! i cannot understand the chaotic fuss that the philippines is making over a movie that is purely fictional. WTF?!?! tsk, tsk, tsk... such drama! (but i'm pretty excited to see it this weekend! i hope it's worth the line-up!)

Kat said...

Seriously. They're just asking for people to watch it. They're giving Catholics a bad name!