Saturday, November 19, 2005

On Sculptures and Great Bands

Uhoh. My Toenail Bit has broken off. You know, the bit of toenail that is covering pulpy mess that is no longer pulpy? Well there you go. Its not so gross, people have seen toesie and think its okay. But that was before toe bit broke off. Now I really can't leave it exposed because well, now there's nothing protecting about a fourth of it, hey?

Went to bed late Friday night as was chatting with roommates. We took Andrea up the road to get a taxi with her stuff (she's moving back to Sacha's place till we move) after waiting for the one she ordered to come for more than an hour. Got back, saw the Nightmare Before Christmas before finally going to bed at around one. (Also previously went to see Corpse bride earlier that night at the Norton St. Cinema. Loved it!)

Yesterday was very very tiring. Met up with Sacha and Andrea to head to Bondi for the annual Sculpture by the Sea. This is basically an exhibit of sculptures along the coastal walk from Bondi to Tamarama Beach. We took a train to Bondi then a bus to Tamarama and did the walk backwards. We were joined by Sacha's friend Ritem.

The sculptures were amazing! Some of them were hi-faluting (forgive the spelling if its wrong) and far out, others were fun and quirky but all of them were equally fantastic. There was a people's choice award, and we all had to vote for our favorites. Mine was this cute sculpture of fishies made by a Japanese artist. Andrea's was this giant wave that was designed to hang over the edge of a cliff and Sacha's was a series of nine rows of 4-5 hurdles where every hurdle depicted someone's life. The last hurdle was at the edge of a cliff, which meant in the end you jumped into the sea. I also liked the giant beach chair and thongs, a lot of the fish sculptures, the "fried egg", the octopus (i don't understand why it cost 21,000 dollars), the leaf, the walking man, the walrus and a whole lot of others.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

(Have got so many pictures, so if I haven't invited you to view them yet, let me know and I'll send you the link to my online album.)

When we finished, we got to Bondi and met up with Sacha's friend Dominic and his other friends. Had a bit of lunch (at three!) and baked a bit at the beach before rushing off. I meant to go to church but was so tired and wanted to take a shower before going out that night so I decided to go the next day. I was searching for this particular book and went to three bookstores before deciding to call it quits. Rushed home, soaked feet in warm water - soooo tired - showered and got dressed.

Rose arrived while I was "putting my face on" and then we headed over to Newtown. Rose is dating this guy named Simque (that's how its pronounced, Im sure that's not how its spelled) who is South African and works for IBM. We planned to meet with Sacha and Andrea and then go see the Kid Confucius concert at the Newtown RSL. Rose ended up having dinner with Simque first and I had dinner at Sacha's.

I thought that it started at 8 but it turned out it was just doors open at 8 so we actually played pool (i sucked but at least this time i can hit the ball now) had dessert at this restaurant called "Blue Fig" before coming back. The first performers of the night were True Live, who are from Melbourne and Andrea's favorites. They were excellent! It was a 6 piece band,(with cello, double bass and violin) performing hip hop with a mix of jazz and funk, like you threw in a bit of early Dave Matthews into the mix. At some point the lead singer said he was going to do a bit of improv, so give him topics to rap about. He got Phillip Island, Finland, Lesbians and the Mars and Snickers crisis and he managed to put them all together in one funky rap. It was amazing. I went and got their album for ten bucks right after.

They were followed by the Sundancehall All Stars, who were three girls dancing Afro Cuban style. They were pretty good although in some parts they weren't coordinated (read: sabay sabay) and the music didnt quite transition so well - they had taken a number of songs and mixed them together and it wasnt done quite so well on the tape, so there were unecessary breaks between the dances. They were fun though.

After that, finally at almost twelve it was time for Kid Confucius. They are a funk hip hop band and they sound like the brand new heavies (my fave) with more dance mixed in. Its a 9 piece band with two sets of drums (regular and the bongo kind), three guitars and various other instruments. I really want to get their album but since they have already signed, it is twenty five bucks and I dont have the money to spare just yet.

Rose and Simque left in the middle, I was initially supposed to go along but then opted not to, but she came back for me because she was worried that I would have to take a cab. So I left with them, as I was tired anyway, though later on I thought I could have stayed, its just that I didnt want to pay for a cab and nahiya naman ako kasi she came back because she (and Simque!) were worried.

So I got home around one, there was no one there so I thought my housemates were spending the night at a friends and I had Moses share the room with me. He always seems to know when Im going to do that because then he jumps on the bed. He is so sweet. He never does that usually, he only does when I ask him to sleep in my room. Awww.

Housemates came home right as I was drifting off so I let Moses out and went to bed. Am supposed to do laundry but I think I'll take a long nap and just relax. Today is the last day of my holiday before I go back to work.

No comments: