Thursday, August 10, 2006

Book meme

Tagged by Duke

Books that changed your life?
From Beirut to Jerusalem by Thomas Freidman - I never got to finish it, in fact I think I only made it to chapter 4 or something. However, it was the first book I ever read on current events, and in my CNN obssessed phase at that time, it helped me understand the whole Israel Thing and how it went further back than I ever imagined.

The Alchemist - which I read in 1998, thank you very much. I resent all those people in Friendster who put it down as their favorite book because its the only bloody one they've read and they only read it because everyone else did (its next to the Da Vinci Code and Tuesdays With Morrie). Nevertheless it was an excellent book with a strong message on dreams

A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux - read at the age of 12, and kickstarted my romance novel

The Godfather by Mario Puzo - the first ever 'grown up book' I read

The Sanman series by Neil Gaiman - enough said.

I could throw in the Prince by Machiavelli, I don't entirely remember it I just remember "The End Justifies the Means" inspired me.

Books you have read more than once? - The Godfather, Archangel by Sharon Shinn, Too many romance novels, The Belgariad & The Mallorean, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, Edith Hamilton's Mythology, Linnets and Valerians, I could go on...

Books you would want on a desert island? A survival guide, A romance novel, and something on how to build a boat with minimal supplies!

One book that made you laugh? - A Year in Merde (I haven't finished it yet)

the last book that made me laugh out loud was: "Surrender to a Wicked Spy" it involved wooden prosthetics in the 1800s. And a man with a very large appendege. I will leave that to you to work out.

One book that made you cry? - I've uhm, never cried reading a book. The Time Traveller's Wife was one of the saddest books I've ever read though.

One book you wish you had written? - absolutely anything Neil Gaiman has done.

One book you wish had never been written? - in fairness, wala pa ata.

One book you are currently reading? - Don't Look Down by Suzanne Enoch, A People's History of Britain by Rebecca Fraser, Financial Accounting

I always read 3 books at the same time. In this case, with the last one I have no choice :P

One book you have been meaning to read? - Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond

2 comments:

duke said...

I just realized that I also read Edith Hamilton's Mythology for a couple of times. Since highschool, it has been a constant companion.

I also liked the Godfather by mario Puz and some of his italian/mafia books.

I'm beginning to get hooked on Neil Gaiman. 'Can't wait to start my next one.

thanks for doing the meme.

duke said...

pahabol..

I'm also reading a year in merde right now. Husband and I find it hilarious :)