Sunday, October 17, 2004

On Packing, Bazaars & Leaving the Kids Behind

In about five or so hours we'll be leaving on our trip to Thailand. This has been a long time coming and we have been planning this since May. Originally we had planned to take the train from Thailand into Malaysia or the other way around but we decided against it once we discovered Air Asia and cheap flights. We had to cut Malaysia out too, because it was too expensive given the limited days allowed by our tour package (8, with the last 4 days in Bangkok). Tonight we're going to be crashing at my friend Jake's place for the night before we head out to Phuket in the morning. We'll be back in Bangkok on Thursday, staying at the Mandarin.

A few days ago it finally occured to our bosses that it might not be such a good idea to have four of us gone in one go. Unfortunately for them, they approved our leaves in May - probably without thinking, too - and everything has also been bought and paid for, so they are stuck. One of my companions had an interesting conversation with our big bald white happy nosed boss in america where he tried his damnest not to get her to go on leave without actually asking her to. Of course, we're going anyway.

I don't exactly feel guilty for leaving all the shit behind - we are four out of a thirteen person team - but I feel sorry for them because they will have to take up all our shit. Considering that everyone in our team does the work of at least 3 people (five if you're me and donna, at least) when one of us goes its like shit hits the fan, big time. Case in point: I have been fielding calls & email all day from poor Marty, who has ended up with most of the stuff we've left behind. Our first day gone and he's already done a straight shift and so have some of the other kids. This is all making me feel like a mom that's left her kids to survive on take out food for a two weeks while she's on vacation, but nevertheless, I have faith that everyone will survive without too much damage.

In the meantime, there was some confusion about how many kilos we could have on the flight to phuket, which lead all of us to some frantic packing & unpacking. I had to help one of my friends with his packing as he seemed to think that dress shirts, dress pants and dress shoes plus three pairs of pajamas and a whole shitload of other stuff was necessary for a week out of the country. As for me, I felt my suitcase - which is about a fourth full, max, and has so much space in it that it has about a whole hand's length left for stuff - was too heavy by itself so mum suggested we go out and get one, given the whole kilo confusion. (see my picture of my red fuzzy giant suitcase) We thought we could only have 13 kilos but the website now says 15 so I think we are safe. My suitcase weighs 13.6 kilos with stuff in it so we didnt have to buy a lighter one. The lightest suitcase in the house I lent to donna for the same trip. In the end, I stuck to red fuzzy - more space for shopping - and ended up in a bazaar!

Half the stuff in that bazaar looked like it either came from Thailand or from the export overrun packing boxes from the factories that make gap, old navy, ann taylor, etc. I bought a pair of shorts that fit (i own only one pair that does, thanks to squats) and a cute bag made of coconut shells with funky prints. I wouldve gotten the mahjong print as well but the bags were expensive. I was lucky that I was with my mother, who dragged me along, so she got the bag :D

Right now I am at home, having finished packing and getting a little sleepy. Plan to leave by 430pm to make the 2 hour before the flight cut off. Have packed as many legal drugs as I am able and am hoping that none of us develop any diseases while we are there. I am prepared for the weather and armed with a new bikini am hoping to get a kick ass tan, weather notwithstanding. Don't think I'll be able to post till I get back, unless we all decide to check out an internet cafe, so here's to our long awaited vacation! Sawasdee!

No comments: