Friday, June 23, 2006

My World Cup Obssession

I haven't seen a World Cup game since last week but then there hasn't been anything I really want to see. Next week, however is a different matter.

Sanshine_butete and I were talking about our favorites for the final 4. Mine were Brazil, Germany, France and a wild card, possibly Switzerland or Argentina. Hers were Brazil, Spain, Argentina and England I think. Looking at the schedule below, I have to revise everything because they're all fighting each other now pa lang!

My prediction is that Germany and Argentina are both going to win and will face each other in the quarter finals. (Now I have to really see that) And then its France vs Spain!!! I am definately for Spain and they have been doing better so I'm hoping that they'll go through. Never mind France. But then that means (because most likely Brazil will beat Ghana) it will be Brazil vs Spain! Hello!!!!! Those are my top two teams!!!

I don't think despite Kat's rhapsodizing about Kewell, Australia will make it to the next round. The fact that they've made it to the 16 is an accomplishment enough for a rugby obssessed country that is just getting into the soccer. They're playing against Italy. Italy will go through, and most likely so will Switzerland and there you go. I hope Switzerland makes it through, I'd love for them to be in the final 4, they're like the super under the radar, wtf I thought they were all about skiing and not soccer type team.

Am having a bit of trouble predicting who will go forward from the second round tho. England, Ecuador, Portugal and Holland are all very strong. England is also suffering from erratic performance, Ecuador has been doing well so that is anyone's ball game. Portugal and Holland are just a death match waiting to happen.

So my revised final four includes Germany and Brazil. The other two I don't know. It sort of means getting rid of Argentina and Spain - two other teams I'd like to go through - but I'm trying to be realistic. Sigh. I hope a latin american team makes it through!!!

Check out the schedule here

1 comment:

duke said...

hey lars!

I've been watching the world cup games here. Australia is playing really well and I like their passion for the game.

On tuesday at 10pm (my time), it's Spain vs France. I think Argentina has a strong team this year.
My teams for the WC:
1. Argentina
2. Brazil
3. Germany
4. Spain
5. Sweden
6. France

in no particular order ;)