Sunday, October 23, 2005

Back to the 80s & Smoothies

Last night Sacha, Andrea, Martina and I saw an Italian Movie at the film festival called "Manual of Love". It was a bit like Love Actually, with 4 different stories. Afterwards, Sacha, Andrea & Luke headed off to a party and I took Martina to Bar Italia since it was her first time in Leichhardt. After she left, i called them to get the address for the party.

The party was OpShop Formal themed. An Op Shop is a second hand shop where people just dump all their clothes/shoes for sale and the money is given to charity. Since people dump the stuff they don't like, you can imagine what kind of things are there. As I didnt have time to get an outfit - Sacha was decked out in a nice dress and Andrea was dressed normally, while Luke had an OpShop outfit that looked normal - I put on this pink long sleeved shirt my mom sent that I will never wear, I think, with pleats going down the front and jeans. When I got there there were "costumes" in the bathroom and the girls were in full 80s glory (see below!). We decided to walk back to the house - it was a block away - to get the camera and Im glad I did.

The hosts were really decked out, with puffy sleeves and flowers in their hair ala pretty in pink. The music was all abba and something straight out of the chorus girl soundtracks. Given that most of these people (kids) were in their early twenties and possibly did not remember as much of the 80s I was surprised to find everyone of them singing and dancing along to footloose, eye of the tiger, abba and other classics. (sabagay dito nga nangaling ang abba teens...) The only things seriously missing were the ballads like glory of love, take my breath away and what the heck, ocean deep. (The classics played in my school bus...) We went home around one.

The next day I got up at ten. Kartini, Sacha's housemate had planned a "Smoothie & Scone" brunch where we were all supposed to bring fruits to be made into juice/smoothies, etc. Andrea and I went down to Norton st deli and grabbed some strawberries, bananas and 2 for $4 mangoes (okay cheaper than the last time!) plus some amazing garlic aioli dip and bagel chips.

We got to their house and they had already started (it was lunch time by then). The bus we took was full since it was the Leichhardt to Coogee one and since it was such a brilliantly beautiful day, everyone was headed to the beach! Kartini had already started making juices and they were also serving champagne with hibiscus. Half the homemade scones had already been eaten so I was only able to have one regular scone and half a chocolate one (mmmmm!). Thank God for garlic aoili and bagel chips. I managed to have about two and a half smoothies, all from the strawberry blend except for the last one, which was mango and raspberry, made by Lisa and was the best of the lot. They made a lot of them with melon, which I tasted but since I dont like melons, I passed on that one. There was also one with coconut which I skipped for my stomach's safety.

After that lovely smoothie brunch Sacha and I took a walk down King Street to grab some real food and I ended up getting a nice dress at this store called "Just Feathers" so I know have a summery dress thing. Tried to find shoes as well but couldnt find anything comfortable (need black flats). Had "lunch" at a noodle shop - fried rice with chicken and salted fish, which reminded me of our thai lunches on the phuket beach, though it was not as good as they were, obviously.

Went to chuch after that, there seemed to have been a youth congregation meeting as there were all these groups (as evidenced by their t-shirts) including those that were wearing Australia 2008 World Youth Day pics. It was a pretty long mass but I was glad to be there anyway. Went home and will be going to bed shortly as have work tomorrow. Hopefully this week will be a light one, although it will be followed by three weeks of stuvac + exams so I hope to take advantage of this week by doing some prep and relaxing a bit.

Here's to a hopeful week!

No comments: