Saturday, October 01, 2005

Mangoes

I meant to update last week with whatever new adventures I'd had but I was so busy. This will be, in case you can't already tell, a very long entry to make up for that.

Today I got a forward that was just the right thing I needed to hear: "You may be going through a tough time right now but God is getting ready to bless you in a way that only He can. Keep the faith."

I woke up this morning computing my expenses for the month. Strangely enough the Australian Consulate is correct when it says you need an average of 1200 dollars a month to stay alive in this country. I discovered this the hard way, when I got taxed (given that once I am taxed I don't end up with the suggested amount monthly). I seriously think my tax is wrong. I've talked to several people - none of whom are tax experts, just various team leaders/co-employees - and some say yes, you're getting taxed too much, some say no, you're getting taxed that high because you're international. I'm calling the tax office tom to make sure, because Andee doesnt appear to get taxed that high and this whole tax thing is making me feel very bad. It works out that I'm living from paycheck to paycheck and that I can't save. I don't want to do that. I need to be able to save and pay for additional expenses.

By the way, in case you didn't already know, I work for a call centre company and this is our client

I went to see an ulcer doctor this week, and he explained what exactly was wrong with me. Apparently the muscles in the bottom of my esophagus are weak, and the way it goes is that when the acid from my stomach bounces up, its supposed to close but it doesn't, because they're weak. Since the inside of the esophagus isnt lined the way the stomach is, its like skin, i get burnt. So I have to take medicine twice a day to allow the acid to abate and let my esophagus heal. If I dont take care of it, it could get worse and then I would end up having to have my esophagus stretched (Don't ask). Its also not the average ulcer/gastritis that is caused by bacteria. Its called acid reflux and like the rest of my diseases its permanent but manageable. He assured me that I would be able to eat spicy food with medicine (like Im going to try anytime soon though) and worried that it was possible that I had been undertreated at home, although the availability of drug brands at home might be the reason for this.

Also went to see Merchants of Bollywood, with my friend Rose as well as Sacha, her housemates Kartini and Lisa and their friends. They had bought tickets, but I got free tickets thanks to work! (Yaaay!) It was very entertaining and colorful. Had lots of fun. Last night Jojo, Sacha and I also saw the movie Murderball which was about the US paralympic wheelchair rugby team. I thought it would be depressing and strange but it was great, and inspiring besides. They play rugby with wheelchairs that look like they have viking sheilds attached to the wheels and slam into each other and tip over and stuff. It was great. I highly recommend it.

I worked full time this week because of the holiday. Thursday we started selling season packages for the Australian Open, and Saturday we started selling single season tickets. The men's championship date was sold out before I even came in at 12noon, and this is considering we started selling them at 9. The thing is, to me that's expected, not only because I work for a ticketing agency but because you're competing for tickets with people all over the world, that's a big thing, and its logical. Which is why I could not understand people calling me at 6pm on the same day expressing shock, or asking for tickets in the lower foreground in the front. Hello. It's the Australian Open. It's tennis. People are fanatic about sport - like the American who called the day before to make sure he got the dates and times right, I had to run a time zone conversion from him and he said he'd call from the golf course the next day. That is commitment to sport and I hope he got tickets.

This week I cooked char-grilled chicken with mango salsa (all while chatting with
sanshine_butete) which is actually not as complicated as it seems, its all in the sauce and if you can find fresh mangoes. This week I am thinking of cooking pork or beef or mustard style chicken. (Woman's Weekly cookbooks rule!) I also bought a new cookbook. I would cook more, but its hard to find the time, and I get sawa easily, because the portions are so big, so it takes me a few weeks to finish one meal - I'm still eating my cheese fritatas up to now, I had 6, I ate 2 a week, Im finishing it this week.

I found a great recipe for my ricotta and mistakenly purchased cottage cheese, which involves pasta shells and baking, but I've got so much leftover sauce from last week (as in like more than half a tupperware) I've got to finish that first. Im trying not to eat so heavy, so that tupperware is going to take a while. I was thinking of using it as sauce but its already got beef and mushrooms in it so that will end up being too heavy.

Sacha and I were supposed to take the train to Canberra this weekend, but the 6am train was sold out and the next one left at 12 and got there at 4, so never mind. I got myself a new book on the history of africa, which I was meaning to wait for next payday for, because I worked extra hours this week, but it was sold out in most stores, borders had 9 left and the publisher wouldnt be getting them till at least mid october so I went and got it in case it disappeared. Im a nerd like that. I have a list of books in my head that I am going to ask my relatives for for Christmas. In exchange, I believe the next person who comes here will have to bring everyone's Christmas gifts, I know what to get them all, straight from Manila where its cheaper!

Ive been spending a lot of time on my groupwork, just reading and reading all the stuff I'm supposed to be writing for the various projects I need to do. I have one group which is really good, we're all working hard and we have a good leader, one group where we're all working individually and I think we'll come together in the end but so far none of us have done much and my last group where we're trying hard but its one of those cases where I have groupmates that are really nice and trying really hard to understand but... Let's just say that it has further encouraged me to study mandarin. I have always meant to but its becoming apparent that I seriously need to study mandarin. Now.

I am learning many things about different cultures through these groupwork experiences, plus a lot of things about me. Like I never knew I had all these filipino traits that I never thought I had. The articles I have read for class are true, your cultural traits become more apparent when you are outside your cultural context or country. For instance, my american groupmate has probably no idea that if I didnt have enough experience with americans I would probably perceive him as arrogrant or even aggressively determined because he's so task oriented, etc. Or I had no idea that the filipino concept of "hiya" existed in me until I came to this country. Or that the collective vs individualist concept (thinking of the good of the group vs thinking of yourself) is so true, in the sense of asian vs western. For example in work. In my old job, if you had a problem and someone else could help you with it, even if they were talking to a customer, etc. they'd help you out, because essentially it was for the good of the group. In my new work, we're not allowed to do that. Work on it by yourself, focus on your own call, even if it was handled by a diff person previously and you need their input. It sometimes requires a certain amount of adjustment, but all in all, its very interesting, when you notice the cultural differences.

Last weekend Sacha performed with her capoiera group at the Newtown food and wine festival. I have never seen such a variety in my life. I had African snacks with lentils in them and they were very good. (I may have mentioned before that I discovered I liked lentils in this country) I also found friands for 90c each that were amazing! This was where I found the 3 for 5 dollar mangoes at a thai booth, which were very sweet and uber hinog (ie overly ripe). My dad says that the Australian govt doesnt really allow for the export of mangoes into the country because of strict quarantine laws and i suppose general paranoia about tropical diseases. He also made fun of me paying $5 for mangoes. (Thanks, dad.) My uncle assures me that they should be able to grow them in Darwin, although he has a mango tree in his backyard in Sydney that does not bear fruit due to the climate. I never really thought I would ever miss mangoes, but strangely enough I do. I think its the accessibility that I used to have that I cant get used to not having - literally turn the corner and there's some dude selling mangoes - but here, even the weekend markets dont have them, or if they do its rare. And even if i've always loved bananas and apples more, much to my mother's consternation, a philo without mangoes is just well, it just doesnt seem right!

I'm looking forward to the holidays, I am hoping to go somewhere local, even if its just Brisbane or maybe even Tassie or what the heck, Melbourne again. I was originally supposed to come home for a visit in February but that's looking fuzzy, in which case I am all right with staying here and working full time until school starts. At least Im earning. I have resolved to contemplate more on these things once school ends for the summer. In the meantime, its been getting sunnier and I've been able to - shock of my life - wear sleeveless again. Go Me!

2 comments:

Ivy said...

GERD - Gastro Esophagial Reflux Disease. Yes and it get 's better. Things to stay away from: Softdrinks, Coffee, Alcohol, Smoking and Milk. That's what my doctor gave me when he diagnosed me with GERD. That was 5 years ago. Now I can drink alcohol. Just painful to wake up with the piercing pain.

So do you get freebies for the Australian Open?

duke said...

your adventures are so much fun!At least you have mangoes over there. Here, you cannot find a single mango and pineapples are really expensive.

Isn't it amazing to discover cultural differences? Until now, I am still amazed with how Pinoy I can be when I'm with non-Filipino friends.

BTW, esophagus stretching sounds really scary...